Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, March 19, 2018

At Last


Nearly every day I try to tackle some project.  Some days it involves the mundane task of yard work – planting, mowing, trimming, shaping hedges, and watering.  And eventually I discover a skill I didn’t realize previously.



For instance, mowing the lawn in one direction rather than the other can make your yard appear larger.  Adding fertilizer to the hole before the potted plant will dramatically aid in its growth.   Watering at a particular time will prevent root rot and diseases in your lawn.



Over the course of time, I attended elementary school with other kids who seemed to possess extraordinary skills in artistry.



It was sixth grade, and Sister Agnes instructed the class to draw a horse.  We all had the same typing-style paper, and rulers, along with erasers.



I was up for the challenge and began sketching in a manner I felt Pierre-Auguste Renoir would envy.  Long strokes, some shading and size variances for depth would give my pony the edge of the rest of the class’.



Trees and tall grasses were added to mask the awkward equine legs of my palomino.  Alas, nothing but an alien abduction could save me from this disaster.  My horse looked as though it was the victim of a train wreck.



I casually glanced over at Janice Marciniak’s sketch only to discover she had some museum-quality masterpiece produced by Bob Ross.  It was an amazing rendition that seemed as though it could jump off the page and run at Saratoga, and win!



It was about that time I came to realize drawing and sketching was not going to be part of my career.  I am so bad, I actually avoid people who play Pictionary.  But I digress.



Just recently I spotted a police sketch that was a depiction of a wanted criminal.



The police description indicated this person-of-interest was either Asian or South American.  Not necessarily know to resemble Chinese people, Peruvians should not be compared to other peoples from the opposite side of the planet.  I'm just saying...



Actual police-issued drawing and photo
In any case, a witness to this crime drew their own rendition of this wanted person, who was subsequently identified as Hunt Phuoc Nguyen. 



As you can see, this fellow is likely of Vietnamese persuasion, not Argentinian.



But the important part of this essay is that the witness drawing of Mr. Nguyen looked very much like my sixth grade horse.



Lancaster Pennsylvania Police stated online that, “While the sketch provided by the witness may have appeared amateurish and cartoonish, it, along with the distinctive physical descriptors, jogged the memory of at least one investigator to provide a potential suspect name.”



This is all good news because it has renewed my faith in the fact I may truly be an artist who is just finding his talent.  In fact, I may apply for a job as a police sketch artist based on the ability of law enforcement to locate their wanted criminals through rough drawings with which they were working.



After all these decades, I finally can say Sister Agnes would be proud, and Janice would be jealous beyond words.



Nya, nya, nya!