Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, October 2, 2017

Close Your Left Eye


Years ago, on black and white television, there was a popular game show called What’s My Line?  It was a cute display of stage and screen actors and actresses who were attempting to make the transition into the new media, TV.



The premise of this show was to have four star and starlet panelists ask questions of a guest whose job was a secret.  After each failed round of questioning the guest would garner $5 cash.  Five bucks was a lot of money back in the early 1950’s.



A maximum amount of $50 was awarded if no one could guess the profession of the guest-at-hand.



This was so long ago that the host and panelists regularly smoked pipes and cigarettes, and the women panelists wore gloves, the men wore suits.



Some of these contestants include a woman who made wigs, a man who brought an 80-member banjo band, and a set of five twins from one family.  These contestants were selected to make mirth and challenge for the astute idols on the panel.



But one fellow struck me as a bunch of baloney.  He was a small, slender man with a dark (remember it was in B&W,) suit who seemed somewhat shy.  This folically challenged gentleman answered all questions politely and tersely.



Alas, the panel was at a loss to guess the occupation of this middle-aged fellow.



Then, his secret was revealed; he made eyeglasses for chickens.  Yep.



This was not true, I thought. 



Each year, in January, I make a pilgrimage to my eye doctor.  She goes through a series of tests – first testing one eye, then the other by holding a card in front of the non-subject peeper.



Then I place my face into a steampunk-like contraption that places varying strength lenses, to which I respond as to their clarity.  Eventually, I pay my $125 and get a prescription for new glasses that will allow me to read highway speed limit signs.



Which is why I found the chicken eyeglass scenario a total scam.  I have never know a chicken to complain about their vision, or squint to see their food.  Nor do I know if these glasses come as bifocals.



So it was this truckload of curiosity that drove me to the internet.  I searched “chicken eyeglasses.”



Indeed, I stand corrected, again.     



These devices are somewhat misnamed.  They are more in the vein of chicken blinders.  Evidently, these little plastic items are placed on the beaks of chickens in large flocks.  This ocular device prevents the chicken from violently pecking its neighbor chicken while feeding.



I did not know that chickens would literally kill one another over marigold petals, but evidently they do.  Hence the chicken eyeglasses.



In case you’re interested, they sell, in bulk, for about a dollar a pair.  Styles are limited, though, and there are none offered in tortoise shell.



I learned something new, again.