Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, September 11, 2017

Leave Me Alone




A large part of August on The Eastern Shore welcomes the annual harvest of tomatoes, potatoes, and corn.  So it was with great anticipation that I greeted this scrumptious yield of three of my favorite foods.



For the record, my other favorite foods include prime rib, watermelon, rib eye steak, meatloaf, butter, oysters, and the king of that infamous food pyramid, salt.  But I digress.



My sainted wife and I had prepared a pork loin, glazed with pineapple and mango, corn-on-the-cob, and sliced tomatoes.  We were enjoying this modest feast when my phone rang.



Mid-chew, I answered this cellular device only to hear a perky woman’s pre-recorded voice informing me I had just won a free cruise.



I don’t want a free cruise.  I don’t want any cruise.  I weigh enough.  Friends and family have been telling us for years how terrific cruises are.  They dress up for dinner. They dress down for lunch.  They get bottomless drinks.  They have stage shows.



Yadda, yadda, yadda.



Fantastic desserts on the planet, bowling, surfing, movies, gambling, miniature golf – you name it – it’s the bestest!



Unfortunately, all these acquaintances, except one, return with an extra 25 pounds because of all this wonderful food and lack of exercise.



“You should go,” is the common advice from most of my misery-loves-company buddies.



Thanks anyway.



But the whole point of this is not about all the goodies that can be had on cruises rather, it is about that triggering phone call.



I was home, minding my own business, when I was rudely interrupted by some schmuck who didn’t care about my dinner.



Here’s the rub.  My sainted wife and I shop fairly often.  It seems as though we never have that tub of sour cream, or jar of olives, or splash of Marsala, so we are usually on the road either going to or from the market.



When we are in the store, no one – again, no one – ever asks us if we need help finding anything in their store.  As such, we wind up wandering aimlessly, much as refugees would in a foreign country, searching for our necessary goods.



Or, if I call your business, I’m invariably put on hold for countless minutes, only to eventually hang up without conducting any business whatsoever.



So why would it be better for these merchants to try to sell me something when I’m home, but not when I’m in their store?



That seems counterintuitive still, it happens.



Cruises, vacations, time shares, vacuum cleaners, and steaks, are just a few of the spiels I receive pretty regularly from shady merchants and con artists.



Here’s a business plan you merchants might want to employ on a trial basis: talk to me when I’m in your shop; when I’m at home, leave me alone!  I love fresh corn!