Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, July 13, 2015

Summer Vacation


It’s summertime in America and many, many residents are heading out for some well-deserved
vacations.


For years, and before I retired, I looked forward to time-off, most of which was spent doing work on and around the house.  Nonetheless, my sainted wife and I occasionally found time to get away for a few days of sightseeing, fishing, or just relaxing at home.
 

So it was with interest that I heard a news story some years back about three Americans who spent their vacation time hiking on the North Korean-South Korean border.
 

It seems these young pukes wandered into communist-controlled North Korea and were promptly arrested.
 

Roughly a year later, more stupid Americans, with similar pursuits, trekked the Afghanistan-Iran border.  Not sure there aren’t enough hiking trails in the United States, I would suggest these compass-challenged fools take an orienteering course before leaving their homes.
 

It took months of high-level negotiations for both North Korea and Iran to return these oafs to America.  I believe they should have their right to vote taken away just out of principle.  They’ve already proven their mental shortcomings.
 

Today’s news stories included a group of hikers in Washington who were exploring an ice cave.  For some unknown reason the ice cave collapsed.  Several children were injured and one woman was killed in this mishap.
 

The hand wringing has begun because the cave is too unstable to risk recovering her body.
 

And, two Americans were gored in Pamplona, Spain, during the annual running of the bulls.  This news item gave me pause to reflect on my free time and the dangers associated therewith.
 

I don’t own a parachute, motorcycle, skateboard, or hang glider.  I do own a cell phone with a number pre-programmed to dial 911, and a fire extinguisher.
 

My down time is fraught with danger, and some blood has even been spilled.
 

I once received a paper cut from turning pages of the television guide, and even was bitten by a few mosquitoes.  Exsanguination was not a threat, and I recovered nicely after a martini, thank you.
 

I’m certainly not going to point fingers at these risk-takers but, I don’t feel as though they deserve special considerations because of their poor lack of judgment.
 

If you want to run with the bulls, train to outrun your fellow runners.  Portable GPS devices are available in every department store if you want to hike.  Just stay out of ice caves.  Period.
 

Perhaps you should just stay home and mow your yard, wash your car, or ogle over your sunbathing neighbor.  And, have a martini handy.