Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, October 20, 2014

Too Close for Comfort


Should someone say, “Give me five,” you might be tempted to hand over some money and, you would be dubbed ‘terminally un-hip.”
 
That simple phrase means to touch hands to celebrate, greet, or congratulate.  The “five” refers to the number fingers on one’s hand, and is often called a “high five.”
 
This primitive method of shaking hands is usually reserved for people who are perpetually-hip.
 
Somewhere in the 1970’s, some baseball players touched hands, creating a gesture that would only lead to further annoyances.
 
Little kids would high five adults to the giggles of observers who thought that was cute.  High fives ran rampant about offices, bowling alleys, and sports arenas.
 
It wasn’t long before most men forgot how to shake hands, rather opting for a high five.
 
Fast forward to today – some 35 years later – and we have virtually forgotten about high fiving anyone or anything.
 
Those crude slapping gestures have somehow evolved into – drum roll, please – hugging.
 
Yes, in the event you have yet to be hugged by someone, anyone, you’re in for a treat.
 
I’m all for hugging comely, nubile women because I like humans of the female persuasion.  On the other hand, guys, not so much.
 
Still, men will walk right up to you and give you a hug.  Some guys are sneakier than that, though.  Those are the ones who approach with an outstretched hand.  Once contact is made, they use leverage to tug you against their bodies.  Bleewwchh!
 
I’ll wait while you look up “bleewwchh” in the dictionary.
 
Never being a hugger with anyone except my sainted wife, and Smokey’s 19-year old Swedish au pair, such an act puts me in a particularly awkward position with my body pressed against that of another man.
 
I see benefits in hugging members of the opposite sex; I see no benefits to me with other guys.  This is not a homophobic statement anymore than having a woman balk at hugging an offensive woman or smelly man.
 
Whatever happened to all that ‘personal space’ stuff that was the topic of all conversations with women in the 1980’s?
 
Four-feet were the appropriate distance, if I correctly recall.  Any encroachment was reason enough for a female to break out that relatively new invention, pepper spray.
 
I, too, have personal space that shouldn’t be invaded by anyone except my sainted wife and au pair Heidi. Or any comely, nubile ladies.
 
If you see me on the street, you may shake my hand or high five me.  Don’t hug me!