Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, November 11, 2013

Watch This


Recent television programs and movies show men and women going about life without wearing wrist watches.
 
This may not be the astounding news that I feel it is but, being punctual has always been my “thing.”  As such, I sport a wrist watch all my waking hours.
 
It used to be that nearly all male actors had watches adorning their wrists – even during those lurid bedroom scenes.  How odd, I thought, that someone cavorting with a beautiful woman needed to wear a timepiece.  Was he afraid she might pilfer it, or was he using it to time his best effort?  In any case, he had a chronograph.
 
Watches were hand made during the 18th and 19th centuries, and came in the form of a pocket watch.  Those watches were sometimes very ornate and used primarily by people needing to keep a schedule – railroad and Pony Express riders were some of the few ‘timely’ folks.  Bankers and shop owners of yore used them, too, to ensure no missed business.
 
It wasn’t until World War I that wrist watches became popular.  Being away from a zone scheduled to be bombed at a particular time, was important.  Pocket watches were subject to damage, and had to be fished out of a pocket to be read – difficult to do in a foxhole with people shooting at anything that moved.  Hence, the wrist watch was popularized.
 
Throughout the decades, modifications and improvements have made these time keepers evolve into more than just devices to tell time.  Some tell the date, some tell the day of the week, some tell the year.
 
I, personally, own a number of wrist watches and cherish them all.  Two, in particular, are tied for my favorite.  Both are Citizen brand, and both are meaningful.  One came as a retirement gift from “my only friend,” and the other is from my brother-in-law.  Each has its own special features and qualities, and each is handsome in its own unique way.
 
They possess the ability to be used as a stopwatch, calendar, and can even tell the temperature in Cairo, Egypt.  One is a pilot’s watch and come with a slide rule-type calculator; the other is a stylish dress watch with a leather band and is solar-powered.
 
My first watch was a Timex I received as a First Communion gift.  I have not yet received my last watch, though.  I love them as not only an effective means of telling time, but also as fashionable jewelry.
 
Making a full circle, it seems obvious that those without a viable means of telling time need a way to do so.  My associates who don’t wear watches tell me they use their cell phones as time references.  But, remember the aforementioned pocket watches?
 
I think I’ll keep my watches and feel and look fashionable.  But, you won’t see me wearing one in my lurid bedroom scenes.