Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, May 27, 2013

Silent “T,” Please

It’s amusing when people attempt to appear smarter than they really are.  For some unknown reason, people attempt to use really, really big words in normal, daily conversations with awkward results.
 
Others, though, use “regular” words with disastrous results, too.  A recently aired TV ad selling dry-eye moistener of some sort depicted a real doctor speaking in a soft monotone.  This doctor uses the word “often,” and uses it by pronouncing the letter “t.”
 
We all have our little quirks that make us shiver with pain by others who scratch their fingernails on blackboards, or wildly scream the last few bars of The National Anthem, or those who mix stripes and plaids.  My personal little quirk is listening to those who missed some English classes and try to inject the silent “t” into the word “often.”
 
No, I’m not a language cop but, just as people sporting ‘difficult’ names such as D’Lashondia or Arphontius get angry when others mispronounce their monikers, I also have trouble with people not attending school, for which I subsidized, and then making me suffer for their poor study habits.
 
I once corrected someone who used ‘often’ often.  It wasn’t long before my ears reached kindling temperature when I blurted out, “The “t” in “often” is silent.”
 
“No it ain’t!” was the Eastern Shore retort from the Easter Shor-on.
 
Recognizing I had met my match, I fielded the question, “How do you pronounce the letters S-A-L-M-O-N?”
 
A sense of bewilderment overcame this potential Mensa member who kept glancing at me for a clue.
 
“Salmon,” I offered.
 
His response was equally annoying by pronouncing the letter “l.”
 
“You was tryin’ to fool me, right?” he shot back.
 
“That’s it!  You must have been the valedictorian of your class!” I said in an effort to quell the somewhat volatile situation that was rapidly unfolding.
 
“No!” he shouted.  I eat meat.  I ain’t no ‘valedictorian’!” ended the conversation.
 
But, to those readers who pronounce the “t” in often, I ask how do you pronounce other words that have ‘silent’ letters?
 
Castle, whistle, knight, honest, and salmon, of course, are just a few that quickly come to mind.
 
I’m certain you’ll find your own and recall this story about both English faux pas and Eastern Shor-ons.
By the way, a ‘Shor-on’ is someone who brings the best of Shore life along with their inner moron.