Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, November 12, 2012

Complaint Department


Good news abounds.  It seems as though the economy is actually so good that merchants don’t care to keep loyal customers coming back.

Sears is one of those select chain stores that feel they are doing so well they can push people away.  Some years ago, I bought a leaf blower at Sears and it needed repair.  I insisted it was under warranty but, it was not – by three weeks; I know because the sales clerk looked it up on his computer and told me so.  Not long ago, I visited that same Sears store hoping to buy a new head for my gas string trimmer.  The sales clerk asked me for the product number which I did not know.  He refused to talk to me because I didn’t have “that pesky eight-digit number.”  I contest he could’ve looked it up but, he didn’t have time.  They lost another customer but, who cares?

The Home Depot clearly hires personnel from Sears because their store personnel aren’t much better at customer interaction.  This big box store hires people who shouldn’t be anywhere near customers – whether they are taking their medications or not – because they are not only hapless, they are combative.  With no clue as to how customers are supposed to be treated, these dolts in orange aprons think they are doing me the big favor.  They are wrong.

Lowe’s, The Home Depot’s largest competitor, isn’t much better.  Their clerks like to think they do not have to help you when you need assistance finding something.  A recent 20-minute wait to ask a simple question went unaddressed, with me leaving over $5000 in materials behind in carts and on dollies.  The store “manager” was unapologetic, and is now stuck with a fairly large lost sale.  And, another lost customer can be notched on their wooden rulers.

Tractor Supply Company likely wrote the employee manuals for Lowes’, The Home Depot, and Sears.  I ordered a flashlight and patiently awaited its arrival.  After the two-week waiting period, I visited the store to which it was being sent, to no avail.  No one knew what I was talking about.  Amen.  I haven’t been back since.

Banks are not exempt from being indifferent to its customers.  Bank of America is a fine example of a business that thinks people are stupid.  I called to ask a question but, no one was available to answer the phone so, I left a detailed message and requested a call back.  Four years later, I don’t believe that call is coming – it doesn’t matter, though, since I am no longer a customer.  When asked why we were removing our cash from their bank, I explained the un-returned phone call.  The representative explained that bank personnel were too busy helping in-lobby customers, although we had to wait for the rep to get off the phone.

Then there is Cheaper Than Dirt.  This company, much like others that advertise, needs customers to exist.  Here’s your freebie from www.easternshorefishandgame.com: if you can’t keep merchandise on hand, you don’t advertise to sell more.  Cheaper Than Dirt regularly sends out a flyer advertising their goods.  I selected two items and ordered them.  They never arrived.  A call to Cheaper Than Dirt HQ suggested the idea that phone personnel were sleeping with the boss as that would be the only reason they had jobs.  Several attempts to rectify this mess by me went unaddressed until months later when someone’s secretary felt compelled to call me about my service experience.  She got an earful and apologized to me for ten-minutes until I told her that Cheaper Than Dirt had their chance and blew it.  I further detailed how my gun club would be notified of my horror story, too.  Unfortunately, it was too little, too late, for me.

The bottom line in all this is businesses exist to sell products and provide services to the unwashed masses.  If they want to continue doing so, they need to treat me and others with respect and as though my money is as green as everyone else’s.  They also need to realize that if they don’t cater to me, I can go elsewhere and often do.  They need me more than I need them.