Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, August 27, 2012

Clothes Call


Although most of us bathe – and yes, I do know some that don’t – the cleansing process is not done.  Unless you reside in a nudist colony, you wear clothes that need to be cleaned, as well.


Your ability to wash your clothes should be commensurate with your job, hobby, exercise regimen, or dining habits.  Allow me to explain.

Lawn care, sanitation, janitorial, nursing, mechanic, military, fast food, and a variety of other jobs lend themselves to soiling ones clothes with mud, grass clippings, bodily fluids, and grease.  These stains are difficult to remove from clothing which often dictates the use of uniforms that are professionally laundered and maintained.

You may be saying, “What does this have to do with me?”

Plenty.

Many folks like to walk, to jog, to bicycle to their professional jobs or school for their personal physical well-being.  Admirable as it may sound, that exercise should be reserved for after-hours when these folks don’t have to sit in your office or one nearby, unless they have access to a shower upon arrival.  Yes, they may be healthier but, they are smellier, too.

But, before we get to the point of entering the work force, we grow as children.  Many kids play in dirt, with dirt, and eat dirt.  They enjoy games such as baseball, football, tag, hide-and-seek, and dodgeball, all of which is likely to soil them and their clothing.  That is not a news bulletin.

Still, 236 words into this story brings me to the crux of all this – getting clothes clean.

Doing laundry is analogous to riding a bike.  Since I was single for nearly four decades, I developed some real-life skills one cannot learn in school, one of which was cooking, the other was doing my own laundry.

It seems as though the cooking part helps introduce spattered grease to ones shirt hence, the invention of the kitchen apron.  The real danger comes from preparing edible food which then results in staining ones shirt, again, while eating.  In fact, this happens so often, I actually buy my shirts pre-stained.

All my cooking and laundry skills were brought to test when my sainted wife took a recent trip to visit family out of town.

A quick trip to Walmart let me secure some pre-wash stain removers and OxyClean to assist me clean my spotted t-shirts.  As usual, they came out clean and like new.

Now as pointless as this ramble seems, it is important for those post-high grade-12 off-to-schoolers who are heading out to be on their own for the first time in their lives.   It’s likely Mom didn’t devote a Saturday to showing her offspring how use the Whirlpool washer and dryer, sort colors, pre-spot stains, add detergent and bleach, effectively dry them with few wrinkles and shrinkage.

Being thrust into learning to care for those sweat-laced clothes, sour towels, stained shirts and slacks, and well-used bedding, can be intimidating to laundry rookies.  Although I haven’t checked, I’m almost certain you can learn these things from YouTube or even get an app on how to tidy-up your haberdashery and linens.

If you are thinking twice about this, please refer to paragraph six.  I don’t want to sit next to you.