Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, February 20, 2012

Just in case

Most religions have basic tenets that include living according to The Golden Rule, and some sort of life after death creed. Life after death can take on many facets to include places called Heaven and Hell as well as a form of theistic and pagan being termed reincarnation.

The Heaven part is based primarily on religious beliefs with a reward for living a good, pure life. Hell, on the other hand, is punishment for living a life that was not so much.

All this assumes that we believe in metaphysics. An afterlife is where our souls go when we check out.

As a high schooler, I diligently attended classes and studied to the best of my ability – something at which my teachers, parents, and I all wish I had exerted more effort. But, I digress.

Here I am many years later – wishing my high school guidance counselor had actually earned her money in directing me toward a truly satisfying occupation, something I managed to do on my own. In any case, I had a good ride that provided enough money and entertainment to last throughout my career and the balance of my life.

Now that I am in my advanced years I look around to see things that weren’t obvious when I was younger. For instance, I would like to have had a job that incorporated some really cool things in the day-to-day mechanics of the world.

Things such as testing automobiles for Bugatti, fly fishing around the globe, or the indiscriminate use of high explosives, are a few thing that immediately come to mind. How people get jobs like these is now a covetous mystery to me.

Tonight I’m doing homework to find out who I need to bribe to tool about the ocean in a Donzi or hang around NASCAR pits with a lanyard with credentials sealed in plastic and look important. You don’t normally see those types of professions posted in the want ads.

Perhaps it’s a brother-in-law that wants you to move out of his basement that comes home and announces, “Enzo Ferrari is looking for help. Can you drive a car? It only pays 419,000 Lira, though.”

And although that amounts to only about $182,000 per annum, you decide you’ll make the sacrifice because they let you take the car home at night.

Jealous, I am not. Envious, I am. But, in case there really is an afterlife, and I do get to come back, I’ll have my resume in good order. That’ll be me in the red sports car.